J.A Green dreamed of creating a city made of Stone. Columbia Hall was one of the first buildings constructed. Completed in 1883, it was a magnificent building made with over 500,000 tons of limestone. Columbia Hall included a 54 room hotel, bank, tavern and opera house where Jenny Lind “The Swedish Nightingale” once performed. Mr. Green had this palatial hall built to furnish employment during inactive periods, provide accommodations for travelers and to house his business enterprises.
In the years following 1900 the community reverted to village status with the advent of Portland cement. Green’s fortune diminished and he was forced to sell his magnificent 2,000 acre estate. Columbia Hall was purchased in 1930; it was dismantled and the limestone was moved to Cedar Rapids.
The stone foundation is all that remains today.